Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Getaway with Writers Block 2012: Travel the Write Way

Travel the Write Way workshop by Writer's Block
Phiippines conducted last April 28, 2012 in Makati.
Courtesy: Writers Block Philippines
It is always a tradition for me to write what I have learned from writing workshops I attended.

Two months ago, I decided to enroll in a one day travel writing workshop conducted by Writers Block Philippines. Actually, this is the second  eventof the Writers Block that I attended after the Jumpstart Your Freelance Writing Career 4.0 workshop last year. Before I made it to the travel writing class, I got lost in the Makati Loop and having an adrenaline rush before I came to the venue. When I arrived at the place of workshop, I met the three lovely and smart ladies of WBP as well with other participants of the workshop. I said to myself that I am the least experienced traveler but I have a lot of quirky stories to tell through writing. Therefore, my purpose in attending this workshop is to improve my craft.


The workshop covered on topics about the basics of travel writing such as the different types of travel articles, choosing catchy and appropriate soundbites and travel photos, opportunities for travel writing and how to identify the good, the bad and the ugly travel write-up.


After the lecture, we need to face the music in the most exciting part of the workshop which is the writing session. In this portion, we are going to write our own travel article based on our experience. We spend our time in writing for thirty minutes plus fifteen minutes for extension. In my part, it is hard to write when you are under the pressure of a limited time and I was confused on the location and concept that I am going to choose. In the end, I wrote about my travel experience in the Laguna Loop via commuting. After forty-five minutes, we are divided into three groups. Each group was mentored by the three ladies of WBP namely Ana Santos, Nikka Sarthou and Nina Terol-Zialcita. I am thankful that I was assigned to Nikka's group. Our group was able to share our writing piece and I imagine that it leads me to my imagination, from mouth watering Chinese delicacies to surrendering her breakfast in the ocean while others (including my work) covered on the captivating places in our country and in abroad. In the end of critique session, she gave us a reward: a nutritious Soyamilk.


At the end of the workshop, I learned a lot of things about my strengths in my craft such as having the informative details of the place I visit and I need to improve my creativity and mechanics. Therefore, I am still willing to pursue a career in freelance writing and more travel experiences to come. Thanks Writers Block for this wonderful opportunity!

No comments:

© 2011 No copyright infringement intended. All rights reserved.